Friday, March 09, 2007

Simple pleasures

Seeing a new shoot emerging is such a magical thing. Witnessing the beginning of a little plant coming to life, especially from a seed that you have sown is wonderful and I always feel very protective of them.

Today, with the sun shining it definitely feels more like spring, and I was very excited to see that the shallots are beginning to sprout and I can see 2 aubergine shoots emerging in the nursery pots too.

Today or tomorrow, I'll make some time to make a load more paper pots and get sowing another batch of seeds indoors. Leeks, french beans, garlic chives, basil and tagetes I think. Outdoors I want to get some lettuce and beetroot sown in pots too. I discovered an old packet of 'Blue Ball' Cornflour seeds this morning that I think I got free some time ago. I'm thinking I might sow some in a row in front of where the jerusalem artichoke are for a bit of colour.

I will be sowing a few things like chillies and peppers too to take up to my brother's next month. He has two balconies, one with sun pretty much all day and ideal for things like chillies, which he also likes to cook with. I'm also going to take some of my tomatoes plants and will start off some salad leaves for him too as the balcony off his kitchen is only in the sun in the morning so is ideal for rocket, lettuce and herbs that sort of thing.



Sprouting shallots (still under their protective layer of wire mesh)



I spy an aubergine shoot


The nursery basking in the sun and greening up nicely

No comments: