Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Merry New Year!

After returning yesterday from an extended stay in the peaceful north wales countryside for christmas and new year, I was a little disgruntled to see that the local squirrels had tried yet again to dig up my garlic. I think a protective covering of wire mesh might be needed.

Ground preparation plans are due to be made over the next few days. I've pretty much decided now on four 1mx1m square raised beds with room either side of our patch for containers for potatoes, carrots etc and for the cold frame, compost bin etc.

The next job then is to come up with a final list of what we will (attempt to) grow this year and get on with ordering the necessary seeds etc. All very exciting. The weather is still unbelievably mild for the time of the year. It doesn't seem like we've really had any proper winter at all. The London forecast for the next few days shows a minimum temperature of 10 degrees during the day and only going down to around 6 degrees at night. I read in the news today that experts are predicting another unbelievably hot year for the UK. No surprises there then. Its a good job we've invested in a decent size water butt. That said, it remains to be seen whether we'll actually get enough rain to fill it!

Measurements, seeds I already have from last year and my beloved books...

No comments: