Friday, January 12, 2007

Garlic shoots

Looking out of the kitchen door earlier today I briefly glanced at the garlic containers, not expecting to see anything and, after a closer peer realised that I was looking at new shoots! In a moment of pure excitement I hurried outside to take a closer look and a few snaps. (I did have a bit of trouble getting my camera to focus on the shoots as they are so tiny...)

I planted 14 cloves on 15th December and today I counted 11 shoots that have appeared so I am very pleased (even more so as I thought the squirrels might have ruined my garlic-growing attempts by constanting digging them up.)

One or two have a lovely fresh green shoot that has emerged from the white outer layer, the others I hope are not far behind.



Pic 1 - One of the still encased shoots
Pic 2 - One of the green shoots emerging







Monday 15th Jan additional post:

Yesterday James found one of my garlic cloves next to the back fence and popped it back in the pot as it had a shoot (those pesky squirrels!) so the shoot count is now officially 12!


No comments: