Thursday, January 11, 2007

A veggie book not to be missed!

I recently bought a copy of 'Grow your own vegetables' by Joy Larkcom and it is absolutely invaluable. Paperback novel size, it is crammed full of information which is easy to understand and very clearly written. I would highly recommend it to any new veggie grower and I'm sure it would be a very useful reference book for those with more experience. It was only £5.99 on Amazon.co.uk which is a very reasonable price.

I have been going through the vegetable directory in the book double-checking my choices of veg to try and grow checking to see if my plot conditions are suitable. I have made a few changes too, taken out a couple of things that wouldn't get enough sun and added in a few more things that I hadn't considered before (jerusalem artichoke and kohl rabi to name a couple.)

There is lots of information on soil preparation too, which is really helpful. I feel much more confident about how to approach double-digging our soil now!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing with j.artichokes is that they are very invasive - my allotment neighbour says they only have to look a bit of ground and they'll colonise it!

Kim said...

Thanks for the warning John. I'll give this some thought.

allotmenteer said...

Having grown j. artichokes I would agree that they can be invasive but they are also very easy to grow. We thought we had dug all of ours out last year - replanting 6 for this winter. Nevertheless, we still managed to miss some which sprung up unexpectedly.

Great blog btw. I'll add a link from my site.

Kim said...

I've been giving this some thought and we may decide to work in a dedicated bed for j. artichokes into the overall plan as this is not finalised yet.

I'd love to try and grow them as they would fill the potato-less gap in the year and they are so tasty!