Saturday, February 03, 2007

The big shop... and yes, some actual digging!

I've just finished putting together my big order for the remaining seeds so that I'll have pretty much everything in stock ready to go - I've ordered:

Garlic Chives
Calendula Officinalis
Kale 'Nero di Toscano'
Coriander 'Cilantro'
Leek 'Atlanta'
Leek 'Pandora'
Mange Tout Pea 'Ezethas Krombek Blauwschok'
Mizuna
Onion 'Purplette'
Onion 'White Lisbon Winter Hardy'
Wild Rocket
Sorrel
Tagetes 'Golden Gem'

Total: £18.32


I've also ordered a small booklet on green manures to decide which would work best in our soil. We are finally getting out in the garden today to make a start on preparing the beds. James is out there digging the first bed and I will be sorting out all of the containers - emptying, cleaning and generally tidying up the garden. On our walk home from our trip to the local butchers we spotted a broken wooden crate left in the street which looked ideal for wood for the raised bed edging. So I loaded myself up with all the shopping whilst James lugged the heavy looking crate the rest of the way home.


James gets stuck into digging the first bed


In true womble style - a broken wooden crate is recycled and will go to a good new home as edging for one or more of our raised beds!

No comments: