Saturday, February 03, 2007

The Lunar Experiment plans

As we are completely new at growing most of the veg we plan to grow in our plot, I don't want to confuse things too much with the moon planting calendar (which is a tad complicated let me tell you) and I think it would be a bad idea trying to experiment with absolutely everything we grow.

So, I've decided to pick just a few select veggies to take part in this experiment to see if there is any difference when following the moon planting calendar or not. I'm going to try a veg from each element (which indicates the type of crop that should be sown on the relevant days) and track and differences in terms of germination rates, crop yield, general plant health etc.

Veggies that will be taking part are:

Element: Fire (Fruit/Seed days)
Experimental Veg: Tomato 'Tigerella'

Element: Earth (Root days)
Experimental Veg: Carrot 'Chantenay'

Element: Water (Leaf days)
Experimental Veg: Lettuce 'Salad Bowl Red & Green'

Element: Air (Flowering plant days)
Experimental Veg: Calendula officinalis (not strictly a veg, but I think edible flowers should get a look in)



The rules are:

Sowing: Crops will be split into two - one lot sown in the correct month in the common way etc when I find the time and will be tended to, fed (organically of course) and watered as per standard growing instructions from my trusty veggie bible. The other lot will be sown strictly in line with the moon planting calendar in my moon planting book. The exact same amount of seeds will be sown for both lots.

Harvesting: I will pick veggies from my standard plants as and when stuff is ready to eat. I will follow the moon planting guide as to when I should pick stuff from the lunar plants. (There are instructions on when to pick for the best fresh produce to eat straight away, to pick for storage and to pick for saving seeds for the following year.)

I'll be keeping note of what goes on and at the end of the growing season, for each veg I will report my findings. Ooh, it's all very scientific...



No comments: