Thursday, February 22, 2007

The first sowing

Today the jerusalem artichokes and shallot sets are going in the ground in the first raised bed that is now finished. We have a bit of a problem with local squirrels and a local cat who casually let themselves into our garden and do as they like. Until I see new growth, these will be covered with a protective layer of wire mesh (covering the ground not the wildlife) to prevent the wildlife from digging thing up. I'm hoping it will work ok.

Our ground cover sheeting arrived this morning too along with the much-anticipated paper potter. Now I can get on with sowing seeds indoors. I haven't made newspaper pots before so I will be intrigued to see how they come out. They must be a good way to start of seeds though as this way the roots are not disturbed when planting out as the paper with just biodegrade in the ground.



Jerusalem artichoke tubers with our new wooden paper potter



2 comments:

Organic City Garden said...

Hi Kim

Just a quick one to give you some reassurance about the paper potter you have bought. It is the same one that I bought some weeks ago and is a minor miracle of simple good sense.

I currently have sweet peas and french marigolds germinating away nicely in these dinky pots.

One Sunday Times will make hundreds of seedling pots - I still cannot get over how stunningly simple and beautiful this idea is!

Happy Potting!

(btw - my blog was created this evening when I tried to post a comment on yours and had to sign up!)

Wolfie

Kim said...

Thanks Wolfie - I can't wait to get started making some for my early seeds!