Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Bottle feeding the seedlings


After the mould incident, I have made a new watering device to be able to water seedlings in the paper pots more accurately. A small hole made in the top of a plastic drink bottle, which when you hold it upright you can either let the water drip or squeeze the bottle to squirt water into the pot without drenching the whole thing. It works really quite well, I am pretty pleased with it.

Branding unintentional - any squeezable plastic bottle would obviously work just as well!

A simple device with dual watering technique - a slow drip or a direct squirt!

4 comments:

HH said...

Love your idea! Thank you -- I just watered my seedlings less than an hour ago, and wished for a better method. I had started with a glass of water and a straw (using finger to suck up a small amount of water, then drop onto seedling). But I gave up when I realized how long it would take and wasn't able to get a consistent amount of water into the straw. I also am impressed by the newspaper pots. I will try to keep up with your progress (I see recent post re: mold), as I had planned to try your idea next year. I use the store-bought peat tabs (http://intheherbgarden.blogspot.com/2007/03/seed-lab.html).

Really enjoy your blog. I am learning about veggie gardening, as well!

Kim said...

Thanks, it is always nice to hear that others are enjoying reading the blog :)

I would definitely recommend using a bottle with a hole in the lid for watering seedlings. I am finding it to be really effective.

HH said...

Wanted you to know I am having fun squirting my seedlings these days. Thanks

Kim said...

Really glad to hear that it is working for you too! It is a lot of fun aiming and squirting into the pots!