Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Not so happy mizuna

All the seedlings in the nursery are looking lovely and healthy... apart from the mizuna. It was absolutely fine until yesterday morning when I went to water everything and all the mizuna had sort of shrivelled up. I've no idea what is wrong with them. I suspect they need more water than the others perhaps? It looks like it is only the seed leaves that have flopped, is this what they normally do? I am hesitant to just write them off as some do have a pretty healthy looking first proper leaf. I'll give them some more time and see how they get on and sow my next batch too.


Not so happy looking mizuna seedlings...

Everything else has come up now. The lettuce 'amorina' is looking good and some of the leaves are beginning to show a hint of red now (Amorina is a Lollo Rossa type with intense, deep, red leaves.) I think they need to go outside in the cold frame soon and they look like they will quickly outgrow their paper pots. I think they may need thinning a little too before they go in a larger trough outside. I'll try to put less seeds per paper pot for future sowings.

Lettuce 'Amorina' - 16 days from sowing seeds


Other seed sowing etc really needs to be done quite soon, however at the moment finding the time is a bit tricky as I have a design project submission due a week tomorrow and as I was laid low with a bad cold for almost a week, I am now a bit behind. As of a week on wednesday I'll be on term break for a few weeks though and I can turn my attention to the garden properly.


Tomato 'Tigerella' seedling

The tomatoes are coming along well and showing signs of their first proper leaves and the aubergines have also germinated well without being covered. I think the warmth from sun coming through the windows gave enough heat for them.

Aubergine 'Little Finger' seedlings

1 comment:

Melanie Rimmer said...

It's so exciting when everything starts coming up, isn't it?