Saturday, March 31, 2007

A visit to the nursery

The paper pots are still going a bit fuzzy after a while so I have decided that they are good for growing individual seedlings like tomatoes and aubergines but for multiple seed sowing of smaller seeds (mizuna, leeks etc) it is better to sow in a shallow tray. I've been saving any trays that we get in the veggie box (mushroom trays are particularly useful) and also our fresh fish comes on polystyrene trays which we wash thoroughly allow to dry well and they hold about an inch of potting compost. I'm using them for the first time to start of the tagetes and they are working well. I just make plenty of holes in the bottom of the tray. Occasionally we have biscuits which come in a tray inside the packet, these also make good seed trays!

Today I have transferred my leeks into one tray as the paper pots were decidedly fuzzy and I had to put fresh newspaper down in the trays anyway. I've never seen a leek seedling before so I'm finding it fascinating to see how they grow. They sort of start doubled over then straighten up. When repotting them I couldn't believe how strong they smell at such an early stage. A really strong distinct leek smell which was just amazing. I've sown another dozen leek atlanta today too. They are a late leek for harvesting next winter. Pandora is my early leek for the summer/autumn.



Leeks 'Atlanta' and 'Pandora'


Thankfully I seem to be having a bit more success with starting off some mizuna. I cautiously only did 3 pots with a few seeds in each and I have been trying to make sure they are not drying out as that seemed to be the problem before. I have also moved them to a 'cooler' shelf of the nursery which isn't in the full sunlight and heat all day.

Mizuna - still going strong

The outcome of my tagete sowing experiment (one tray of scattered seeds and one tray of seeds sown on edge) is that there seems to be no difference at all in the germination rate. I'll definitely stick with the scattering method from now on. A lot quicker and a lot less tedious!

The french beans are looking great, really strong and healthy and growing at a staggering rate (as per my previous entry and photos.) 17 of the 20 seeds sown have come up so far which is very pleasing.

French beans - Wonderful deep green leaves emerge and unfold from the seed pod


The tallest bean almost as tall as my watering bottle

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

re: your beans. you don't say if they're dwarf or not, but one thing i will tell you, from experience: don't let them lean against the window. The stems don't develop enough to take the weight sufficiently if they do, and when you take them outside, they can (and do) break/bend. I planted 5 beans - way too early - and they grew up against some kitchen window netting, but because they were leaning against it, when i took them outside to harden off, they bent under their own weight and broke. Even though i planted them under a cloche, they haven't survived. Shame really, i was kinda hoping they would - gotta plant some more now.

oh and if you like paper pots, try using inner toilet roll tubes filled with compost. Fab things, but they do go a little mouldy (doesn't do the plants any harm though).

good luck!

keth
xx

Kim said...

They are dwarf french beans that I have growing in the nursery, a variety called Tendergreen. We have broad beans planted outdoors that were given to us as young plants from a friend.

I've been turning the pots of dwarf french beans each day to keep them straight and they are not close enough to the window to try and lean so hopefully they'll grow up nice and strong. I do this with all seedlings really so that they do not bend to far one way.

I haven't thought of using loo roll inners - great idea though. I currently use them cut into strips to use as labels in the nursery (not stuck in soil, they are taped to the wire rack)

Anonymous said...

loo roll inners are fabby. You can either use em at full length for things that need long root systems, or cut them in half. Best of all, they can be planted straight out - roots just grow through them, and they decompose, which is excellent for anything that hates having its roots disturbed.

as for labels, if you want ones that you can stick into soil, you can use cut up yoghurt pots (the big ones) or icecream tub lids.

the mushroom tubs are really good for stacking your toilet roll tubes in, btw!

keth
xx

Kim said...

Ah yes, yoghurt pots of course. I've been saving small ones as I read somewhere that if you cut the bottom off and put it around a young plant base as a skirt it is a good way to protect against nibbling slugs and snails.

I'll definitely bear in mind the loo rolls for long rooting seedlings etc, great idea thanks. I'll have to keep getting mushrooms just to keep up my supply of mushroom trays!

Anonymous said...

"I'll have to keep getting mushrooms just to keep up my supply of mushroom trays!"

you know, you make that sound like a terribly bad thing.. !!!

I don't eat the small yoghurt pots (I go for either the natural or greek stuff and put my own stewed fruit in - bit healthier) but i think i might have to, cos this is a good idea. I've been saving up pop/squash bottles for a while too, to act as home made cloches.. in fact i've just cut the bottom off six and shoved em over the top of sweetpeas so they could go outside (I ran out of windowsillspace! ARGH!). the kitchen looks like an art store, with mushroom trays, empty pop bottles, empty clean yoghurt pots.. !!!

thanks for the idea of the little yoghurt pots..

keth
xx