Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Speedy germination

I was rather surprised to see that the Basil 'Dark Opal' that I had sown in the mini sushi propagator has already germinated! The packet said 14-21 days and these seeds germinated in just 4 days. I'm guessing that the growing conditions in this little covered tray are ideal for germinating basil...

Speedy basil seedlings


A heavy down pour of rain yesterday followed by brilliant sunshine seems to have done wonders for the veggie garden. Everything seems to be standing proud after the generous watering and many things seem to have put on noticable growth.

Yesterday, James earthed up the 3 sacks of potatoes which are now full to the top. The jerusalem artichokes are a good half a metre high now and the smaller beetroot and salad onions have all put on noticable growth. The forecast for the week is rain every day which is ideal for the garden. We have our water butt fixed up to the downpipe now so we will finally be able to harvest rain water for the dry spells.

The broad beans are flowering well and I spotted the first bean pod appearing this morning. Flowers are also appearing on the dwarf french beans.

The first broad bean pod appearing

This weekend we ate our first produce from the veggie garden, some 'amorina' lettuce. It was just lovely being able to just go a few feet from the kitchen door with a bowl to pick fresh salad leaves. It will be even better when we have smooth, waxy potatoes, tangy onions and juicy tomatoes warmed by the sun to create delicious home grown summer salads...

4 comments:

Ashleigh said...

My basil germinates incredibly well inside in a covered propagator, but if I take it out of the propagator too fast it sits at 2 leaf stage. You should probably leave it in there for quite a while :) I have some Thai and some Minette basil growing. Is it windy there at the moment? We have gale force winds with the rain and I'm worried about my tomatoes ...

Anonymous said...

I killed an Opal Basil the other day with sheer ignorance. I'm going to try again - your beautiful little plot gives me hope!

Kim said...

I'll be very careful with the basil in that case ashleigh - thanks for the warning :)

It has been blustery here with heavy rain for a few hours yesterday and more forecast. I hope your tomatoes hold out - perhaps if there is a break in the weather you could give them some additional stakes for support or put a wind barrier around the area?


Thanks for your kind words briana, I am always pleased to hear that others are enjoying my plot with me!

Anonymous said...

hmn, an excuse to buy sushi >:D. I just managed to kill off all my basil seedlings, they only got to the two leaf stage, and then dissapeared O_o. I'm gonna try again, but this time in a covered container, i think i will try your sushi one, much better space wise than the propagator trays i could buy...