Sunday, January 06, 2008

Long overdue tasks

I bought various packets of bulbs late last autumn and most of the ornamental flowering bulbs went in the ground at the front of the house or in the three window boxes on our front bay window. The few ornamentals leftover I had planned to put in my new cutting garden.

December then became pretty hectic and any time to go out in the garden to plant the remaining bulbs seemed to simply disappear. I did get as far as planting a packet of snowdrops in what will be the wildlife garden, which I am pleased to see are coming up and some are showing signs of bursting into flower in the next few days.

So today, finally with some spare time to get outside, I have put the remaining bulbs in the ground... I just hope they didn't mind sitting in their packets for so long!? 8 Shallot 'Jermor' have been hastily shoved in the ground with the hope that they will root as over half had already begun to shoot. These have gone in one of the raised beds. I've also planted 15 Garlic 'Cristo' in a pot which, once their shoots begin to poke through will be transferred to the ground.

A final large trough container has been planted with the remaining ornamental bulbs as part of my plans for cut flowers. The selection includes: dwarf Iris reticulata, Narcissus 'Baby Moon', Narcissus 'Waterperry', Allium 'Purple Sensation', Tulipa 'Black Parrot' and Tulipa 'Passionale'. I have no real idea of how many of each are in there as I mixed all of these that were left over in one bag. So whatever grows will become fresh cut flowers for the table.

Bulb selection!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done for getting the garlic in, i always forget to plant in th autumn. Also noticed you are going to be growing Uchiki Kuri, ever grown it before? I think it will probably sprawl for miles!

Kim said...

I have absolutely no squash growing experience at all! Have your grown this before then? Is it likely to take over the garden?! Any advice would be most appreciated!!

The variety of garlic I've sown this year says that you can sow it in either autumn or spring so I hope it will still grow well enough, just a later harvest...