Friday, January 04, 2008

Making plans for the year ahead

I feel like a complete stranger to the blog at the moment. The garden is so bare having not grown much at all this winter and I'm itching to give it all another go again this year!

I've received some fantastic gardening presents at Christmas which I intend to put to good use. A pair of lovely gardening gloves, left-handed secateurs, a compact plant trainer with space for 49 seedlings, a proper kneeling mat and a traditional sussex trug to (hopefully) collect the fruits of my labour...

I've also made a list of veg I'm going to try for 2008 and have put in my main order for the remaining seeds etc needed. The plan as it stands is as follows:

Root veg: Charlotte and Desiree potatoes, Bolivar and Golden Detroit Beetroot

Bulbs: Shallots and garlic

Peas & beans: Ambassador Peas, Ezethas Krombek Blau purple-pod mange tout, Neckargold climbing french beans and Scarlet Emperor runner beans

Brassicas: Green sprouting calabrese, Azur Star kohl rabi and Nautic brussels sprouts

Other veg: Uchiki Kuri squash, Nero di Toscana kale, Pandora leeks, Paris Silverskin baby onions and Gardener's Delight cherry tomatoes

Fruit: Ben Sarek blackcurrants (my first attempt at fruit really so I'm planning to start with one compact blackcurrant bush in a container and see how I get on...)

I've also ordered 5 comfrey plug plants as I'd like to try making home-brewed plant food! No doubt I'll try my hand at a few herbs again not to mention my favourite salad leaf, good old rocket!

No comments: