Friday, May 09, 2008

Finally some dry, sunny weather!

I've been pretty immobile over the last couple of weeks with a lumbar back sprain and only now starting to be able to move around without a huge amount of pain... typical that this happened just as we start to see some decent weather, and so far I haven't been able to do anything useful in the garden in the lovely sunshine!

That said, there are bits and pieces going on regardless of my lack of intervention so I thought a quick update might be a good idea.

The potatoes were earthed up last weekend (thankfully James can still do these necessary little jobs!) and with the sun and rain combination of the past few weeks they are growing well and due another earthing up this weekend.

Flowers have appeared on the Blackcurrent 'Ben Sarek' which is pretty exciting! I've never grown any kind of fruit from a bush before...

The garlic shoots are looking nice and healthy and I'd really like to move them into the raised bed with the shallots to give the bulbs a chance to fatten up... this will have to wait though until my back is better enough for kneeling down etc..

We bought a couple of lovely willow obelisks last week and I am planning to use these for our peas. I have two types of peas sown and these are starting to shoot up from their guttering seed tray. These are the purple mange tout that I grew last year (Ezethas Krombek Blau) and a podded pea that I haven't tried before (Pea Ambassador.) Both of these should be ready to harvest around the same time I think.

I repotted my cherry tomatoes just before I injured my back so they are growing quite well in their bigger pots. I have 3 'Gardener's Delight' and 3 'Sub Arctic Plenty' which I think should be a good amount of plants. It is so easy to get carried away and grow too many tomato plants and they do take a bit of care and attention so I've tried to be a bit more strict with my numbers this year.

My bare root comfrey plants have also arrived and with James help these were put in a large pot for the time being and are already beginning to shoot up quickly. I'm still deciding where to put them so the pot is a temporary home really.

I did sow some seeds for my cuttings garden, however it seems that the slugs have been feasting on any new shoots so these have been a bit of a failure. I'm going to try sowing some more in a tray indoors and keep them safe from slugs until they have put on a little bit of growth then plant them out.... damn slugs, every year I have such a battle with the greedy little blighters!

Tomorrow, I have plans for some serious seed sowing. I need James to fill up trays and pots with compost for me as I can't lift a damn thing at the moment (all very frustrating) however, I can sit and sow the seeds myself. So, the plan is to sow some Rocket (our absolute favourite salad leaf), sweet peas, climbing nasturtiums, Onion 'Paris Silverskin' (a small onion for stews, pickling etc), runner beans, french beans and beetroot. I also need to repot the greek basil seedlings that have shot up with all of the recent sunshine. Always so much to do!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

omg, I wondered why your blog had gone so quiet! Hope you're on the mend now? That sounds awful, and so frustrating! All the best for your recovery.

Kim said...

Thanks very much, I am slowly on the mend but under strict orders not to overdo it!