Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Natures way of getting on with things

I have to confess I left my seed potatoes in the box a lot longer than I should have. I did think though that by excluding light and keeping them cool and dry that they would be fine for a bit and then I'd find them a home to start chitting them. I opened the box yesterday to get them out and put them in egg boxes and it appeared that they decided to take the executive decision to make a start on chitting themselves in the box.
Despite being cramped they seem alright, however many have sprouted one long shoot rather than a few shorter, stubby ones. I'm hoping other shoots will also sprout too now that they are in their egg boxes. Another lesson learned in the land of veggie growing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being new to gardening I don't understand why you have to buy potatoes to plant. Why can't you just use the ones that start to throw up roots from the regular potatoes you get from the store?

Kim said...

You can, if they are sprouting then they should produce a new crop. Seed potatoes are safer in that there is no risk of them harbouring infection which can contaminate your soil.

You have more guarantee with seed potatoes in terms of yield and disease resistance. Seed potatoes don't cost much considering how much crop you get from them and also you can buy seed potatoes for many great varieties of potatoes that you don't often see in the shops/greengrocers. Hope that helps!

Paul and Melanie said...

I had some late entries to my chitting trays last year that did the same thing as yours have. I have to admit I didn't notice where I planted them and what the yield was but I didn't have any 'gaps' when I was harvesting so I'm guessing they grew as well as the rest. :)

Kim said...

That's encouraging, fingers crossed they will grow fine then!