Monday, September 27, 2010

Overwintering

I'm desperate to have something (other than green manure) actually planted on the plot this year and I think trying my hand a few autumn-sown, overwintered veggies is the way forward. I've ordered:

- Early Purple Wight Garlic
- Senshyu Onions
- Aquadulce Claudia Broad Beans
- 1 crown of Timperley Early Rhubarb

I'm working on the bigger plans for next year as well and trying to get my head around what to grow, when it will be ready to eat and how much of it to grow to try and keep us going throughout the whole of next year, even the hungry gaps. So glad I've started now as I think this will take a while!

3 comments:

Graham said...

You might try some winter lettuce. Last year I grew "Winter Density" from a sowing mid-October and harvested excellent heads in May. The seeds were Mr Fothergills and were actually a free gift stuck on the cover of a Gardener's World mag. These lettuce survived the cold winter, though I should add that our garden is in the Charente Maritime area of France so our winters are not too harsh. bon jardinage !

Kim said...

Thanks Graham!

Amy said...

Yes I was also wondering what plants I might be able to grow over the winter out on the windowsill... Have you made any decisions yet about what you're going to grow?