Sunday, June 26, 2011

The first big harvest!

Yesterday saw our first major harvest - 25 bulbs of garlic and 45 baby onions! Very impressed with how the garlic turned out, good size!

Yesterday evening we had our allotment 'Annual General Meeting' and BBQ and it was great to see that we have so many plotholders now. I think 9 plots are now taken with the potential for 3 or 4 more. I've somehow found myself as the new Chair of the Allotment Friendly Society. Not sure what this is going to involve exactly, signing balance sheets and some dealings with council it seems. So watch this space. I am thinking of instigating a blog for the whole site to show our progress as a collective.

Today was around 30 degrees and I spent a good 4-5 hours at the plot today weeding what was the onion and garlic bed, digging through some compost then planting out 6 purple sprouting broccoli, 6 green broccoli and 9 cabbages (3 from our plot neighbour Randy.) I then spent a silly amount of time trying to make an old mosquito net stretch flat over the top of this new brassica bed... no easy when it's shape is like a box... the penknife came out and it looked, how can I put it, interesting once I'd finished. It's only temporary though as I've now ordered some proper butterfly netting which hopefully will arrive in the post in a few days time and I'll tackle protecting the cabbages and broccoli all over again!

Our first harvest!

My attempt to cover the cabbages and broccoli!

No comments: