Sunday, December 14, 2008

A reminder of next year

The seed potatoes and shallot sets have arrived in the post. I haven't gone crazy with the amount of seed potatoes I ordered for next year as I had too many this year and ended up giving about half my desiree seed potatoes to a friend for his plot.

Potatoes for next year are limited to one good salad spud, Anya. A cross between Pink Fir Apple and Desiree (both of which I have grown before) Anya gets rave reviews and I'm hoping to do the same. Let's hope I can get a good crop from them.

I had ordered 'Vigamor' shallot sets however due to a quality problem they are no longer available from my usual supplier so they have sent 'Red Sun' as a substitute. These are quite rounded sets so it will be interesting to grow a new variety instead of the traditional french enlongated variety I have tried before.

So once again we will be living amongst the trays of chitting potatoes waiting for spring to arrive and the ground to warm up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not doing spuds this year - It's been impossible to avoid blight over the last three years! I hope you have better luck with yours.

Kim said...

Thanks Liz, I managed to avoid blight last year but had a few problems with scab. I'm hoping if I make more effort to regulate the watering I might be able to get round that this year.