Monday, April 16, 2007

Slugs

We arrived home last night from our weekend away and went straight out to the garden to see how everything is looking, only to find a gang of slugs merrily munching on the leaves of the broad bean plants. All visible slugs were removed, however we will need to do something to stop them on a more permanent basis.

I've just ordered some organic slug pellets and I already have a roll of copper tape. I am considering putting a border of copper tape around my salad bed (which now has lettuce and spinach seedlings visible) and using the slug pellets around the beans bed.

We were rather concerned about the broad bean plants as they didn't seem to be happy with the move from our friends house to ours, a couple of nights in the cold frame then planting out into the ground in the garden. Fortunately though, although some have given up, the majority have fresh new growth coming up which is encouraging. The last thing we need now is for the slugs to eat them all!

I am going to wait until I have the slug pellets before I plant my dwarf french beans outdoors. They are living outdoors in the cold frame during the day at the moment. The nasturtiums and sweet peas are definitely big enough to be transplanted outdoors. I'll give them a couple of days outdoors during the day to harden them off then plant them out and start some more from seed.

The leeks growing in a tray in the nursery are coming along nicely and I am going to plant them outdoors this week too. So hopefully, by the end of the week a lot of seedlings will be planted out in the garden with a fresh batch of seeds sown in the nursery indoors.

No comments: