Sunday, August 05, 2007

The salad garden... take two

It would have been criminal not to be out in the garden today in the glorious sunshine. We did a lot of general tidying up and I spent a good couple of hours sorting out the salad garden.

My first attempt at starting a salad garden was eaten before it started by my nemesis, the garden slug. Determined not to be defeated, I courageously fought back with an army of nematodes and today, I have stepped up the fort by surrounding the top edge of the raised bed with trusty copper tape....


Just you try and get over this then mr slug...


After a good digging over, a variety of salad goodies were sown, some for quick growing/cut and come again crops, others slower growing for the autumn and, if I can actually get them to grow, I'll sow more seed for some winter crops too.

Here is a run down of the seeds sown in the salad garden:

- Kale 'Nero di Toscana' (one of my potential winter crops)
- Lemon Balm
- Leaf Beet 'Canary'
- Lettuce 'Salad Bowl' & 'Bergamo'
- Sorrel
- Corn Salad (another potential winter salad crop)
- Mizuna
- Whale Spinach
- Rucola & Wild Rocket


So, time will tell if I have managed to keep the slugs at bay and I might actually get some crops growing in the salad garden.

Other garden action is that the tigerella and cherry tomatoes are doing well and both producing lots of flowers, some of which I am relieved to see are finally fruiting. I've been spraying the flowers with water to help them set (a handy tip from a veteran allotmenteer friend) and so long as the weather is kind, we should see a reasonably decent crop.


Tomato 'Tigerella' fruit appearing... yay!

No comments: