Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Seed sowing... finally!

It is such a great feeling to wake up in the morning knowing that you don't have to spend yet another day working your socks off towards a looming deadline! My final major piece of coursework was submitted yesterday and I cannot tell you how relieved I am that it is all finished and handed in on time.

So today, I finally had some time to sow some seeds! Firstly I transplanted the three tiny mint seedlings that I thought had keeled over along with the rest I had sown.... against all odds, these determined little seedlings have hung on for dear life. I've moved them into a new pot and they have gone out into the coldframe. I'll sow more seeds indoors and transfer any future seedlings into the same pot outside.

I've sown a little sushi tray each of the seeds kindly sent to me from Zada. These are garland chrysanthemum, ocimum basilicum (some form of basil) and vietnamese mint. These will all be started under cover to try to regulate the heat for them.

I've also sown a tray of chives and a further 6 modules of the purple-pod mange tout 'Ezethas Krombek Blau', all of which are out in the coldframe.



What's going on in the coldframe:

New additions today of the mint seedlings and trays of mange tout and chives just sown. Two trays of marigolds are now showing flower buds and will be planted around the tomatoes later in the week.

Some of the first spinach bolted and has started to have a go at setting seed so the pickable leaves will be part of a side salad this evening! Calendula are growing nicely and will be moved into either the salad bed or the tomatoes bed quite soon. A tray of leeks will be planted out in the onions bed later this week too.

A length of drainpipe with rocket and lettuce is also growing well in the coldframe conditions. The rocket tastes absolutely delicious - I can't resist munching on a leaf or two when I am out in the garden! I'll be able to get out in the garden again tomorrow late afternoon and I plan to sow two further lengths of drainpipe with a mix of salad leaves.

Signs of a looming harvest are present in the garden too....




The shallots have gone from being a single set to now splitting into four or five shallots. These should be ready to harvest in July once the leaves have turned yellow according to my veggie book



Little salad onions starting to develop (these are Onion 'Purplette')



The first potato flower in bloom....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi!
Congrats on finishing your coursework! I'm glad you have enjoyed some good gardening weather and some yummy salad leaves too!
As for my herbs, some are outside on the balcony, some are still inside. Those inside are doing much better than those outside. I was dismayed to return home late last night to find slugs munching on my Viet mint! Devastated, but judging by your experience think they will survive. I don't know how the slugs climbed up onto my 1st floor balcony though!?
Lettuce and korean cabbage going well, as are the perilla. Tomatoes seem to have stalled...
Anyway, hope all's well with your veggie patch.
Best
Zada

Kim said...

Thanks very much - I'm so glad to have it all finished and submitted.

I had some good news today that the design I submitted last week for a 3acre garden has been shortlisted into the final 3 out of 35. Very pleased to have got that far and I have my fingers crossed that it actually gets selected to be built.

On the slugs front, if they are attacking something in particular, you could try copper tape around the container as a bit of a deterrent. I am surprised that they manage to get themselves so far above ground!